ourgig

ourgig - "our God is good" hopes to build an authentic community of fellow sojourners of faith, love and joy.

Monday, June 13, 2005

A new Experience: Bible & Cigarettes

Last Saturday, I had a new experience of talking about Jesus with some new friends. The new experience was more for me as I sat with my new friends who were asking me question on spirituality as they continue to puff their cigarettes. The Bible and cigarette packs were lying side by side on the table. I felt strangely comfortable and happy in that enviroment, as I respond to their queries on spiritual matters, surrounded by "salem glory" smoke. I like their honest questions. I enjoyed that conversation very much and somewhere in my heart, I am comparing some "not so honest conversation" that sometimes Christians indulged in purposelessly. Their quest was genuine; again I sense myself contrasting it with "shallow" talk that Christians engaged in much of the time when they are together. Our christian conversations may be 'holy, unsinful, cussless" but they are also very 'Holey and empty".

Would Jesus be happy to talk spirituality with people as they puff away their cigarettes?
What do you think?

7 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Would Jesus be happy to talk spirituality with people as they puff away their cigarettes?"

Oh yes, I think he would. I think that's exactly where Jesus would be found - and I think he would be very happy to be talk spirituality with them indeed.

It's one of the reasons why we love Him so much, isn't it?

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Joash Chan said...

Yes, we must go out to the harvest field and learn how to walk like Jesus did... We have to stop our mindless indulgence and start biblical purposeful living. So help us God...

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! We have to be willing to sit in the so-called "smoking section". That's exactly where Jesus would be. On behalf of the Kingdom of God, thanks for doing that.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! We have to be willing to sit in the so-called "smoking section". That's exactly where Jesus would be. On behalf of the Kingdom of God, thanks for doing that.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Alicia Loh said...

Pastor Chan, you had that soft touch but powerful just like our Lord Jesus!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger lilgrass said...

Amen! Jesus came not to seek the righteous, but sinners.

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how superficial Christian interaction can be. We'll never enter into authentic community until we have the courage to be real with each other.

Pray for me as I try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home